Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Duck Egg Experiment

To tell this story I have to go back in time. Way back in 1996 I started getting horrific headaches. I pretty much had one continuous headache for about 6 months. Some days it was better than others, other days it was pretty bad. We later found out that my headaches were migraines, and they were most likely caused by food. As it turns out, I had a lot of food allergies, one of which was to eggs. I eliminated all the "bad" foods from my diet and the headaches went away, not to mention I lost around 15 pounds. For all this time, I have avoided anything with eggs in it. This means cakes, pies, cookies, etc. I also can't have mayonnaise, nor can I take the flu shot. The interesting thing about food allergies is that just because I am allergic to chicken eggs, that doesn't mean I can't eat another bird's eggs. Thus began my quest to find duck eggs. Finally, last Wednesday at our new Farmer's Market, there was a farmer selling duck eggs! The first thing I made was mayonnaise! It was pretty good, but it's been so long it seemed a little rich on my sandwich.

The second experiment was a scrambled egg.



Here we have the egg. Looks pretty much like a chicken egg. You can't really tell from this picture, but the shell has a grayish tint.

Cracked and in the bowl. The white part is much thicker than a chicken egg, and supposedly has more protein in it.

Scrambled and waiting to be cooked. If you didn't know, could you tell?

The cooking process.

And finally, a turkey sausage and egg biscuit! I wound up taking the sausage off and just eating an egg biscuit.

The verdict? It was absolutely delicious! Today I will be making a pound cake.

3 comments:

maryanne said...

I was wondering how you were going to eat the duck eggs!!

shelly said...

cholesterol in the duck eggs. more or less than chicken. just curious...love, your loyal reader

Sarah Hazel said...

My favorite pound cake recipe? One pound of butter, one pound of sugar, one pound of flour, and one pound of eggs.